Ubuntu 22.04 codename is Jammy Jellyfish. Which is the next LTS (Long Term Support) release of the Ubuntu versions. The development has been started for and the release date for Ubuntu 22.04 is set to April 21, 2022.
Ubuntu 22.04 Lifecycle
Here is the few dates set for the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish lifecycle.
- Oct 2021: Development Started
- February 24, 2021: Feature freeze
- March 31, 2021: Expected beta release
- April 14, 2021: Final freeze and release candidate version will be out.
- April 21, 2021: Final release of Ubuntu 2022
- April 2027: End of Life
Here is the few major packages upgrades announced by the development team, that will be included with upcoming Ubuntu release.
- PHP 8.1: The Ubuntu 22.04 will comes with default PHP 8.1.
- OpenSSL3: The OpenSSL 3.0 was recently released in Sep 2021. It will be default included in upcoming releases
- Ruby 3.0: The Ruby 3.0 was officially released in 2020. This will be included as default Ruby version
- OpenLDAP 2.6: This version is announced but not released yet. So inclusion of OpenLDAP 2.6 depends on upstream release schedule
- Golang 1.18: will be the default version
- GNOME 42.0: The desktop version will comes with default Gnome 42.0.
Ubuntu lovers are always curious about the LTS releases. Here the next upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 Jammy Jellyfish is the long-term support release on April 21, 2022.